May/June 2018

Total pages read: 880, Pages per week: 125, Pages per day: 17

36576608

★★★★☆

Flowers for Algernon – Daniel Keyes 274/311 pages read (completed)

337907

★★★★☆

House of Leaves – Mark Z. Danielewski 145/709 pages read

6656

★★★★☆

The Divine Comedy – Dante 461/715 pages read

I read more than I did last month but I still haven’t been able to read as much as I would have like to. With exams coming up, I’ve been trying to put most of my time into studying which has hindered me from reading more. Flowers for Algernon was really interesting and I enjoyed seeing how much Charlie was able to grow but also how he ended up right back where he started. House of Leaves is completely different from any other book I’ve read before so I’m really excited to see what will happen to the Navidson family. I even looked up the Navidson records and found videos that have been made so I am planning on watching them after I have finished the book. I spent a lot of time researching which translation of The Divine Comedy was best and settled on the one translated by Wadsworth Longfellow. My copy also includes illustrations by Gustave Doré which have helped to enhance the whole feeling of the book and make sure I’m on the right track in interpreting the story. I think these poems are beautiful and even though there are many things I don’t quite understand, I’m still enjoying the story and am looking forward to how it progresses.