March 2019

Total pages read:290, Pages per week:72, Pages per day: 10

1335019

★★★★★

Necronomicon: The Best Weird Tales of H.P. Lovecraft 153/878

23168273

★★★★☆

The Poetry of Emily Dickinson 340/340 pages read

35959740

★★★★☆

Circe – Madeline Miller 36/393 pages read

This month I didn’t really do a lot of reading since we were on spring break for two weeks. I couldn’t bring myself to read very much because it felt like I was forcing myself to read for grades, so I wasn’t able to enjoy these books as much as I would have liked to.

I put H.P. Lovecraft on hold for a while because I just couldn’t get through with the story  I was reading and I didn’t want to skip ahead and miss anything. For some reason, I couldn’t connect with the story and I found it pretty boring so I was only able to leave it half read for a while. I was able to push myself to finish it recently, however, I did end up heading straight to The Call of Cthulhu afterwards, jumping past six other short stories. I had been looking forward to this story the most, so I really wanted to hurry up and read it after forcing myself to read something I couldn’t get myself into. I also will be talking about this short story in my Writers Seminar where I’ll go into more detail about my thoughts on it. I am glad I was able to finish the Emily Dickinson poems. The poems were set up into sections of life, love, nature, and time and eternity for three series, with the last part being poems from The Single Hound. As morbid as it sounds, I really enjoyed Dickinson’s views on life and death, and I think that a lot of my favourite poems of hers would have to be about that topic. I also loved her use of colour and her ability to play with words to describe things so well. I just started Circe recently, but I am enjoying what I’ve read so far. I’ve always enjoyed Greek mythology since I read the Percy Jackson series as a kid, so it’s nice to be able to get back into it again.