February 2019

Total pages read:452 , Pages per week:113 , Pages per day: 16

1335019

★★★★★

Necronomicon: The Best Weird Tales of H.P. Lovecraft 119/878  pages read

31117613

★★★★☆

Tin Man – Sarah Winman 213/213  pages read

23168273

★★★★☆

The Poetry of Emily Dickinson 120/340 pages read

This month, I wasn’t able to read as much as I would have liked due to the new semester and getting used to my new classes. My goal for next month is to try to finish Necronomicon and to read more poetry books. I already have a list of books that I would like to get:  Les Fleurs du Mal – Charles Baudelaire, The Black Unircorn: Poems – Audre Lorde,  Twenty Love Poems and a Song of Despair – Pablo Neruda, and Floating, Brilliant,Gone – Franny Choi.

I really enjoyed reading H.P. Lovecraft’s stories. I’ve never really read horror before so it was a nice change, and it was fascinating to see how much his writing was able to change between stories while still keeping the same feeling. One of my favourites was Herbert West — Reanimator. It’s the longest out of the stories I have read so far and I just found the whole idea of attempting to bring the dead back to life very interesting. I’m really looking forward to reading The Call of Cthulhu since it was always at the top of the list when I did my research on the must reads of Lovecraft’s works. Tin Man was a lot sadder than I was hoping it would be. Although it was different than what I was expecting, I still really enjoyed it. The different perspectives of the two main characters and the quick transitions between the past and the present made it slightly confusing at times, but Sarah Winman did a great job of making readers feel their love, loss, and pain. The poems of Emily Dickinson are beautiful and they helped serve as a great inspiration. I enjoyed seeing her different perspectives on life as they helped me to think about myself and my own perspectives.